Domestic Violence

Women’s Aid, the national charity working to end domestic violence, defines domestic violence as:
Physical, psychological, sexual or financial violence that takes place within an intimate or family type relationship and forms a pattern of coercive and controlling behaviour. If you are a Forth Tenant, we will offer you support in your Tenancy and help you gain advice from appropriate agencies. We aim to;

  • Reduce reoccurrence and prevent the incidence of domestic violence
  • Encourage multi-agency working to ensure delivery of a specialised service to those experiencing or effected by domestic violence.
  • Improve the safety and welfare of adults and children that are affected.

The local advice line is Stirling Women's Aid: Tel (01786) 470897.

Unit 7
Stirling Arcade

Drop-in service between the following times:

Monday: 9am – 4.30pm
 Tuesday: 9am – 4.30pm
 Wednesday: 9am – 4.30pm
 Thursday: 9am – 8.30pm
 Friday: 9am – 4.30pm

Children & Young People's Workers: (01786) 472674.  Office: (01786) 469518.

Scroll down to see table below for more information.
What about male victims of domestic violence?Women's Aid are available to assist women and children who are the victims of domestic abuse. If however you are a man or you know a man that is experiencing domestic violence please also refer to Women’s Aid Website where you will be directed to other relevant agencies that can offer advice and support.

Don't suffer in silence

If you, or someone you know is being abuse, there are many different organisations both locally and nationally there to help you. They will not tell you what to do but rather make you aware of the options and then support you in the decisions you make.

Local Contact Information


Police Scotland - Domestic Abuse

The Domestic Abuse Unit is a small, specially trained team offering practical and emotional support as well as advice on the likes of personal safety, home security and the affect abuse has on children.  You can go to speak to someone at the Unit or arrange a meeting elsewhere.

To report an incident of domestic abuse:
Always dial 999 in an emergency. Or to report a domestic abuse crime that is not an emergency dial 101. You can also report on-line to Police Scotland an incident of domestic abuse that has occurred within Scotland by clicking here.

Stirling Council Community Services
Community Care Services work with a wide range of adults including older people, carers, people with physical and/or learning disabilities and people with mental health problems who may be living with abuse. Tel: 01786 471177

Stirling Council Criminal Justice Social Work works with people convicted of domestic abuse and provides support to their partners.  Tel: 01786 463812

Forth Valley Rape Crisis Centre
They provide free, confidential, emotional support and practical information on legal and medical issues.  Support is also offered to family and friends of those who have been raped or sexually abused.

Tel: 01786 439244 (Helpline) or email:

Stirling Council Housing Services
They provide a confidential service to victims of abuse.  Under no circumstances will the perpetrator of abuse be contacted.  You will be offered temporary accommodation if required.

Contact your local housing office or Tel: 01786 442000

Health Services
If you tell your G.P., midwife, health visitor or the staff in an Accident and Emergency Department that you are being abused, you will get a sympathetic response.  Your G.P. will be able to refer you, if necessary, to specialist counselling or mental health services.  You may also consider asking to speak to the practice nurse if you prefer.

Stirling Family Support Service
They offer help and support to families and friends affected by someone else’s drug or alcohol misuse.  There’s a free help line or a face-to-face appointment if you prefer.

36 St. John’s Street, Stirling
Tel: 0800 027 0898 (Helpline) or email

Home-Start Stirling
They offer emotional support and practical help to families with at least one child under five who are experiencing difficulties, including domestic abuse.

Tel: Brenda on 01786 445314 or email

Stirling Womens’ Aid
They provide information, support and a safe refuge for all women and children experiencing domestic abuse as well as a call/crisis line.

Unit 7, Stirling Arcade, Stirling FK8 1AX
Advice Line: 01786 470897            Office Phone: 01786 469518

Open Secret
They provide confidential support to survivors of childhood sexual abuse, their partners and non-abusing parents of children who have been abused.

Tel: 01786 448504


Victim Support Stirling
They offer free, confidential and independent help with practical and emotional difficulties caused by crime, including domestic abuse.  Telephone support, home visits or office appointments are all available.

38 Forth Crescent, Riverside, Stirling
Tel: 01786 445782

Stirling Council Childrens’ Services
Childrens’ Services provide children, young people and their families experiencing domestic abuse with support including care, education and child protection intervention, when necessary.

Contact Childrens’ Services through your local social work office, school or nursery or Tel: 01786 442000


National Contact Information


Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline
They offer men, women and children 24 hour access to services including the opportunity to discuss problems in confidence.  A Textphone Service is available for people with hearing impairments from 10.00am to 2.00pm

Tel: 0800 0271234

Male Advice Line
This is a 24 hour helpline for men experiencing domestic abuse.

Tel: 01686 610391

Shakti Womens Aid
They provide a support service for black and ethnic minority women and their children affected by domestic abuse.

Tel: 0131 4752399

Broken Rainbow Helpline Service
This is a listening, information and signposting service to LGBT survivors of domestic abuse.

Tel: 020 85399507 (Helpline)